Monday, October 22, 2007

Mist

* Part of The House Next Door's Close-Up Blog-a-Thon *

When the Close-Up Blog-a-Thon was called together, I had no idea what to do. I forgot it started today, actually. But then I saw some of the wide array of creativity from others, it just clicked. But a preface first.

The 1995 Disney animated film Pocahontas gets a lot of undeserved flack for many reasons; it's massive and semi-disturbing historical inaccuracies being top among them. But I never really got that part. It's an epic, romanticized version of history, and it's one of my favorite films of all time. I recently got the 2-Disc Special Edition (I've wanted for two and half years), and since I'm used to my low-definition and really, really warn-out 11 year-old video, I was taken back by how vibrantly colorful and beautiful it actually is. And because of that, one of the greatest film moments I've ever seen became even better... the scene in the mist.

During his exploration of the forest nearby Jamestown, John Smith comes across a waterfall and decides to rehydrate.

He takes a handful of water, and notices a shape behind him. He casually brushes it off, and slowly gets up.

Pocahontas, ever the curious girl, has been following him for a few miles, wondering who this man is.

So she slinks down the rise and goes into the wading bushes, and looks to see if he's still there.

He's not.

She comes out from behind the bushes, and starts to hop onto the rocks.

But behind the waterfall, John is waiting with his shotgun, knowing it's a "savage".

He jumps out, but he stalls. She then gets up... [drum roll]

Pocahontas appears in clear sight. Her beautiful, flowing black hair blowing in the wind, and enhanced visually by the mist. Awestruck cannot describe me every time I see it.

I love this scene with all my heart. The close-ups on her face illustrate the beauty of the film, the overwhelming achievement of it. I'm not much for words, especially when they repeat themselves as much as they'd do if I'd try, so I left it to this series of images. One of my all-time favorites, like I said, and this might just be the reason why.

(I couldn't figure out how to work it, so it's about, oh, eleven minutes late. I don't think it's that much of "tardiness", right? Right?)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments

At 10/22/2007 12:46 PM , Anonymous will g said...

You need to add this to the list on your profile!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home